Sunday, February 2, 2014

#SNAP February inventory day

Last night I took inventory of the pantry and fridge:

16 oz dry red beans (approx 7 servings?) 1.09/bag
32 oz rice (in sealed container).  I have no idea when I bought this!  But it's sealed so should be usable
Kroger 1 minute oatmeal $3.89 (about 15 1 cup servings)
8 lbs potatoes ON SALE(!) for 1.99- 12 potatoes
7 boxes of whole grain pasta ON SALE for 49 cents each (when you buy 6 at Kroger)
2 frozen lasagna dinners (single serve) closeout at 79 cents each
1 gallon milk ON SALE at Walgreens for $2.49
8 eggs (on sale for 1.99/dozen- so that would be 21 cents each)
4-8 servings left of Cheerios and Corn Flakes (free from parents!)
8 slices left of cheese (1.99 for 12 slices so 16 cents each)
30 slices of bread (inc a loaf in the freezer)  This is the $1 loafs from Kroger so 5 cents a slice
A can of Progresso vegetable barley soup I found in the cupboard- 2 servings
6-7 servings of ham and beans left from this weeks crockpot 
3 cans of pasta sauce ($1.09 each)
3/4 medium bottle of olive oil ( I only use a tablespoon or two at a time so I've had this for a while)
3/4 big bottle of vegetable oil
full jar of mayo
2 cans of corn 
2 cans of sliced carrots
1 box of 100 tea bags ($1)

The pasta I bought was a spinach/tomato/wheat mixture that provides 1/2 a serving of vegetables in each serving of pasta!  So that will "count" as a veggie won't it?  

Anyhow I am trying to be more diligent about NOT spending money.  I'm going to try not to buy anything for the rest of this month.  That means stretching this into 28 days food.  I see at least 75 meals in the above (meals that will leave me satisfied but not FULL).  If I added correctly, it looks like it will also be for under $40 total cost as well (not counting condiments/oils). I've started a notebook for daily records (of food actually eaten), so on Feb 28th, I should have a better total.

Question:  Can you cook small red beans in the crockpot?  I'm getting conflicting info online.  There's some poison in some beans that has to be cooked at a high heat to kill the toxin.  Anyhow IF anyone has any clue, I'm all ears.  I need to eat these red beans this month- one way or the other.

No comments: